Limes are an integral part of the produce department. Limes cross all cultures and cuisines and are increasingly popular for health-conscious shoppers as well. Actively promoting limes will yield increased sales.
RECOMMENDED DISPLAY IDEAS
• Don’t hide limes. Make displays prominent and visible to shoppers.
• Use colorful, high graphic shipping boxes to create attractive, grower-fresh displays.
• Display in several areas of the produce department and store, including with tomatoes, citrus and in the seafood department.
• Include recipe and usage ideas with lime displays including using as marinades, zesting for desserts or garnish.
• Promote specialty limes, such as key limes, when in season. Offer specialty limes in addition to regular lime displays and include usage suggestions.
BEST PROMOTION PRACTICES
• Limes are extremely versatile — incremental sales and positioning will bring limes to a top-grossing produce item.
• Place in a basket in beverage aisle, seafood and meat departments with a reminder: “Don’t forget the limes!”
• Any occasion for home entertaining (Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Cinco de Mayo, Summer BBQ’s) is a great excuse to promote limes.
• Cross-merchandise limes, avocados, onion and tomatillos for making guacamole.
• Promote limes in a “Refreshing Drink Display” with other citrus and various drink components — from sparkling water to drink mixes. This not only increases lime sales, but also adds ring from higher-end components.
DISPLAY CARE AND HANDLING
• Quality Limes Sell More! Keep displays clean and neat. Ensure undesirable fruit is removed so the beautiful product stands out. Limes should not be an item shoppers need to pick through.
• Keep limes at 48°F; fresh limes can be held for up to four weeks after picking — as long as they are picked and stored in the best condition.
• To maintain optimal quality for an extended period, be conscious of the storage temperature in your warehouse and back rooms, in addition to retail displays. Optimum is 48°F to 50°F.
VARIETY AND AVAILABILITY GUIDE
Seedless lime varieties include Persian and Bearss. Persian limes grown in Mexico have set the highest standard and are the most desirable.
Seeded and specialty varieties include West Indian, Mexican and Key.
Good quality, fresh limes are available all year round. Through Vision Import Group’s positive grower relationships, we carry limes 52 weeks of the year from Mexico. When needed, we utilize other offshore relationships for additional sourcing.
• 1-, 2-, and 5-pound bag limes
• 40-pound box ranging from 110 to 250 size (PLU sticker optional)
• 10-pound place-packed and stickered (packed by hand, highest grade and color level)
• Ability to pack loose 10-pound
“Todos tenemos que comer”
We all have to eat
Educate shoppers on health: Limes contain unique flavonoid compounds with antioxidant, antibiotic and anti-cancer properties. Use limes as a healthy condiment on meats, fish and chicken — just a squeeze of lime can change or accentuate the flavor.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the following nutrient content descriptors for limes: fat-free, saturated fat-free, sodium-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie, a good source of fiber and high in vitamin C.
Tell shoppers to expose limes to room temperature before squeezing — they will release more juice.
Promote how a little lime juice and water can prevent cut fruit or vegetables (such as potatoes and apples) from getting discolored.
Your lime source matters! Direct grower-relationships make Vision Import Group unique and allow us to deliver the highest-quality produce and service at fair market price. Every one of our grower partners offers top-quality fruit and is held to the highest food safety standards/certifications.
For printable recipes or more information on how to increase lime sales, simply send an email to email@example.com